As a college student who had to buy books each semester, I would get frustrated when a course required me to purchase a new edition that was $75 more expensive than the discounted older edition I found on sale at Amazon.com.
But now that I work with authors who have messages of impact that they refine with each new life experience, I recognize the value of publishing a new edition.
A new edition of a book should not change a book’s message, but it may update the information in one of the following ways:
- Re-organize how the information is shared in the chapters to improve how the message flows,
- Adding examples, descriptions, and facts to support and clarify key concepts,
- Adding pictures or other visual elements to improve the message,
- Updating the information to include any data that became available after the initial publication, and
- Incorporating interactive elements such as: links to a website with additional details, open discussion forums, free personal assessments or inventories or even questions designed to help readers engage with the book’s message.
This is not an exhaustive list of reasons to publish a new edition, but I hope that it will inspire you to think about how you can add more value to the lives of your readers by updating your content.
Please visit Wikipedia’s article about book editions to learn about more possibilities.
Just remember that a writer never finishes writing, they simply choose to stop. There is always more to add.
What are some additional ways you can update your book to produce a revised edition?